Monday, March 28, 2011

blessings and recipe

Last week was a really hard week.  It just was.  Too much sadness, too much helplessness.

This week I count my blessings:
1. Today is the first day since last Tuesday that I haven't had a headache.  Amazing!
2. Today the sun shone, AND I saw a robin (it was super fat, and cold, but it was a sign of spring....)
3. Today everyone liked the new casserole I made.  Even Boy who typically doesn't like casserole because he doesn't like things "all mixed together, " except lasagne and pizza.  Boy even asked for the leftovers for his lunch tomorrow.  (But he doesn't get them, because there is only enough for one, and I declare the dish "Mine.")
4.  I have one less sandwich to make for tomorrow, 'cause I get the casserole....

New Casserole:
Ham and Cheddar Noodle Bake
2 1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
3 tbsp butter, plus a little extra to dot the top of the casserole
2 tbsp flour (I used bean flour)
1 cup milk
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups diced ham
1 cup frozen peas or corn
1/2 cup crushed crackers (I used Glutino Cheddar crackers, but Ritz would work nicely too) or bread crumbs

Cook noodles according to package directions.  Drain
Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.  Add flour and milk.  Whisk together and bring to a boil.  Cook for 2 minutes or until thickened.  Remove from heat.  Stir in cheese and salt.  Add ham, cooked macaroni and corn/peas.  You can add a little extra milk if you think it's too dry.
Transfer to greased baking dish.  Top with cracker/bread crumbs and dot with a little additional butter. 
Bake at 350F for about 20-25 min.

1 comment:

  1. I love how spring weather makes everything better. Can't wait for my first Robin! RV

    ReplyDelete