Tuesday, March 16, 2010

It's March Break. I had all kinds of illusions about how I would spend my week at home. I told everyone I wasn't doing anything -- just staying at home and vegging out. Well, that lasted one day. I spent yesterday following my plan. I laid around on the lazy boy chair. I watch soaps I haven't seen in years, I finished my book, I accomplished nothing -- exactly according to plan....and I was pretty miserable, uncomfortable even. I went to bed completely bewildered by my lack of joy. How could this be? How could I not be thrilled; I wasn't even remotely tired?
And then it dawned on my early this morning...I am not a "do-nothing girl." That is a foreign state of being. Idle nothingness is a great idea, but it doesn't sit well with me. I am most comfortable being busy, accomplishing something. I blame my parents. Even reading, the closest I come to just sitting, is about doing something, learning something, finishing something. I know, it's sick. Who wouldn't give anything to be able to just relax and do nothing? Well me, I guess. I did that yesterday and now I have a long to-do list and I am thrilled....

1 comment:

  1. Yep, I pretty much have to have something to do. I am not a good sit-and-do nothing girl. Drives John crazy when we watch a movie or show on TV and I read a book at the same time, AND still know what's happening in the show.

    ReplyDelete