Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Declaration

I am making a declaration.  I am making it loudly (hence the capital letters).  I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY DISLIKE (even DESPISE) MAKING LUNCHES.

This is the second evening I have made lunches this school year, and I figure if Boy can declare today that he is "sick of sandwiches" then I can declare my displeasure at making and packing lunches.

There are too many rules to lunches.  Some are school imposed -- no nuts (as an aside, I find those newletter notices and signs on the doors "Nut Free Zone" pretty funny.  In my experience there are plenty of nuts, students and teachers alike, in most schools....), litter free, healthy foods first, enough for 2 nutrition breaks, etc.  The kid imposed rules add to my stress, "I don't like mustard on my ham, only butter."  "I only like mustard with summer sausage."  "I had an apple yesterday." yadda yadda yadda.

I get why some parents at my school pack horrific-ly unhealthy lunches.  You can just grab a handful of pre-wrapped crap and throw it in a bag.  I carry too much guilt.  I try really hard to cover the food groups and meet the requests, but dang-it I don't enjoy one minute of the process.

There, declaration made.\
No relief in sight, but I've sent my issue to the universe.  Now I shall wait for the lunch-making fairy to appear and make me happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment