Saturday, July 24, 2010

parenting

So DH and I had this plan.  We figured that if Rocky scratched the furniture or jumped on the table etc. then we would squirt him with water.  We assumed that if we did that a few times he would learn not to do certain things.  He's a smart cat, he'd catch on quickly....

The other night I caught him on the counter, in the kitchen sink.  Perfect place for the water discipline plan.  I turned the tap hose on him.  He did not leave the sink.  I don't think he even blinked.  I soaked that wee guy and he did not care.  Then I felt really bad cause he seemed to be half his size and he was dripping wet.  I set him on the floor and carefully dried him off with the closest tea towel.  Clearly, the discipline plan we had so carefully worked out was not working as we had assumed it would.

Next day we had Rocky outside in the garden.  He discovered my fountain.  Interesting.  Then he discovered he could walk around in it.... and splash.  Cool. 

We've  nixed the squirt bottle plan.

New plan? 

Beat him.


And then he does cute things like sleep on my phone books and I know I'll never spank him.  He now has licence to run amok.  Someday I'll be saying things like "playing on the table again?  Okay.  Just this once." Or "it's okay that you've shredded my wandering jew plant, it only took me two years to get it that full and lush." 

It's a good thing the Boy and Girl understand "time out."  My parenting options of squirt bottle, beating or spoiling completely are pretty limited. 

2 comments:

  1. You'll have to watch him...........he might want to go for a dip in the pool, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts exactly.
    Today he discovered the bathtub. He licked the top of the drain after my shower!

    ReplyDelete