Thursday, August 20, 2009

I have a theory. The female brain (well, my brain specifically) has infinite capacity for new knowledge but limited capacity for remembering "things." Therefore, since I must remember EVERYTHING for EVERYONE else in my house, I sometimes forget things for myself.
What do I need to remember? Case in point, heading out to hockey school this week I have said each night to DS "Do you have your stick, hockey bag, water bottle?" Reply. "Yes." Reality -- Monday night I had to spend $1.75 for a bottle of water for DS.
Every morning of their lives DS and DD have heard me ask "Did you brush your teeth? Wash your face? Comb your hair? Put your dishes in the dishwasher? Etc. Etc. Etc." I have come to realize that if I don't remind, it won't happen. When we go on a trip DH teases me that I am always last in the car -- that is because I have packed everyone's bag, charged cell phones, written out emergency numbers, made reservations, etc. etc. I'm last because everyone else gets to walk out the door empty-minded and empty-handed while I lag behind as pack mule and secretary.
I often think I am an enabler. No one else needs to remember anything, because I do it for them. Then I decide I will not remind "them" of the details! and I merely ask "Do you have what you need?" That is how one week we ended up at Figure Skating without skates, and at a hockey game without helmet, chest protector or jock. You can guess who had to do the running to go back for the missing equipment?
MY life is easier if I am an enabler. That is also why I am last in the car, with messy hair and a full bladder!

1 comment:

  1. Ditto, KB............my life is much smoother when I am enabling!

    ReplyDelete