Tuesday, August 4, 2009

It's always a little celebration (little party in my head) when I find something my whole family likes to eat. I've been warned to not try to "sneak" more than one new recipe in a week. We are a family of habits and pickiness. I really don't like to cook, and what I like to cook is either not very healthy (ie desserts!) or my fam won't like it. New recipes are a treat for me.
I organized my collection of "to try" recipes last week. I got a binder and filled it with page protectors, the pocket kind. Then I labelled each pocket with a recipe category -- beef, crockpot, chicken, pork, pasta, breakfast, salads, soups, cookies, cakes, pastry, squares (notice the heavy emphasis on desserts....) Whenever I cut out a recipe I think might go over, I place it in the appropriate pocket. Then once a week I go through the binder to find the recipe worthy of this week's "new try."
Last night's new try was Italian Pot Roast on the BBQ. It was originally intended for the crockpot, but you know I don't always like to follow instructions. It's from Simple and Delicious magazine May/June 2009.

Italian Pot Roast
1 boneless beef chuck (3-4 lbs) -- I used a 2 1/2 lb frozen short rib roast, cause that's what was handy in the freezer
1 can diced tomatoes
3/4 chopped onion
3/4 cup beef broth
1 tsp salt
1 tsp dried basil
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp garlic powder (or minced garlic)
1/4 tsp pepper

BBQ instructions -- I put the roast in a tinfoil baking pan, added the tomatoes, onion, beef broth and spices. Then I put a second tinfoil baking pan (same size) over top for a lid. Wrap the whole thing in tinfoil to help seal in the steam. Roast on low heat for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. (I kept 2 burners on low and turned the other one off.) The temp gauge stayed about 300F.

When roast is done remove meat. I strained out the juices from the tomatoes (knew that tomato chunks wouldn't go over with the fam). Then put the juices in a saucepan with cornstarch to make gravy.

Crockpot instructions are the same except it suggests cutting the roast in half and cooking on low for 5 - 5 1/2 hours. (If I was doing it from frozen I'd do 8-10 hours.) If you don't have a picky family you could include the tomatoes in the gravy.

No comments:

Post a Comment